Art & Design
Art & Design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. Pupils can use colour, form, texture, and pattern and feel materials and process; to communicate what they see, feel and think.
Our aims in Art & Design
To develop and extend pupils visual creativity, curiosity, enquiry and aesthetic sensitivity to the natural and man-made world, to ensure that all pupils:
• produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
• become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques;
• evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design;
• know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
• To provide a range of stimulating and creative opportunities which create a framework for success and enjoyment, thus enhancing self-esteem;
• To develop pupils’ visual perception, awareness, curiosity and sensitivity to the natural and built environment, through working from observation and direct experience;
• To foster the development of making skills using a variety of media, techniques and scale. Pupils can thus develop the ability and confidence to realise their ideas successfully in two and three dimensions both expressively and in design;
• To develop the pupils’ capability in developing and expressing ideas through art by visual investigation and the gathering and organisation of reference materials and resources;
• To encourage pupils to evaluate and review their work and that of others, both individually and in group;
• To provide pupils with an understanding of the visual elements of art so that they can use this effectively in carrying out their creative ideas;
• To develop pupils’ understanding and appreciation of art and design as a positive force within their everyday life;
• To encourage pupils to respond to, and articulate opinions on art, craft and design and sculpture and use a specialist art vocabulary when describing their work and ideas.