PSHE Vision Statement
PSHE Curriculum Statement
At Crawford Village Primary School, we aim to provide a range of opportunities for children to develop themselves in a well balanced way, beyond the academic and to move from childhood to adolescence with support and guidance to encourage both an awareness of others and the growth of responsible independence. Through this, we believe children can develop the confidence, talents and skills to become effective individuals, motivated learners and active citizens.
We want to prepare our children for the future by encouraging the development of characteristics for life such as a love of learning, resilience, integrity, team work, critical thinking and independence. We want to prepare them for the world of work and support them in developing enterprise skills and financial awareness.
As a school we promote the use of ‘Growth Mindset’ and this, alongside our British Values underpin our PSHE curriculum. We also actively support our 'Values Champions' and this helps to promote our school values.
Crawford Village primary School has an embedded Primary PSHE scheme of Work called 1Decision.
- To build a PSHE curriculum which develops learning and results in the acquisition of knowledge and skills which enables children to access the wider curriculum and prepares them to be global citizens now and in their future roles within a global community.
- To ensure our curriculum is inclusive so that we can support pupils in developing knowledge, vocabulary and confidence to be able to communicate any safeguarding issues and help develop their understanding of previous or potential life experiences.
- To ensure our topics are carefully mapped to ensure they build on knowledge and skills learnt before and that they are taught in a timely fashion set to our children’s needs.
- To ensure our resources reflect the current environment, our school's local context and that they are continually updated so that they can support gaps in our children’s knowledge in the areas of PSHE and safeguarding.
- Our curriculum is built on discussion. The unique sliding doors approach to decision-making supports in depth discussion of key life moments, ensuring children understand key concepts and are engaged in active discussion.
- Our curriculum builds on skills previously learnt and is timed to match our pupils' needs. This sequencing and our use of specific age-appropriate videos mean that children commit key knowledge to long term memory. Our pupil self-assessment journeys means that our children can work towards clearly defined end points.
The scheme of work embeds social and emotional aspects of learning within our whole school PSHE programme. The scheme includes:
- Road Safety
- Cycle Safety
- Water Safety
- Healthy Eating
- Substance Misuse
- Risk Taking /Safety
- Emotional Health
- Coping Strategies
- Healthy Eating
- Healthy relationships/bullying
- Puberty/Growing up
- Financial Education
- British Values
Our scheme of work also includes opportunities to link British Values and SMSC. The distribution of the lessons complements key campaigns throughout the year such as Anti-bullying Week.
- Effective progression of knowledge may be viewed in the pupils' workbooks and in discussion records.
- Our PSHE curriculum prepares pupils for all aspects of life. In particular, the resources we use mirror the new statutory elements of the curriculum and ensure that our pupils are ready for the next stage of their learning