COVID-19 Catch-Up Premium
The Department for Education (DfE) has allocated £650 million to be spent on ensuring all pupils have the chance to catch up and supporting schools to enable them to do so. Whilst headteachers will decide how the money is spent, the Education Endowment Foundation has published guidance on effective interventions to support schools. For pupils with complex needs, schools should spend this funding on catch-up support to address their individual needs. There is also an allocation of £350 million for a National Tutoring Programme, intended to deliver proven and successful tuition to the most disadvantaged and vulnerable young people.
The DfE has also set out the following Curriculum Expectations, to ensure that all pupils – particularly disadvantaged, SEND and vulnerable pupils – are given the catch-up support needed to make substantial progress by the end of the academic year:
Education is not optional
- All pupils receive a high-quality education that promotes their development and prepares them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences for the next stage of their education.
- The curriculum remains broad and ambitious.
- All pupils continue to be taught a wide range of subjects.
DfE asks that schools meet the following key expectations:
- Teach an ambitious and broad curriculum in all subjects from the start of the autumn term, but make use of existing flexibilities to create time to cover the most important missed content…In particular, schools may consider how all subjects can contribute to the filling of gaps in core knowledge, for example through an emphasis on reading.
- Aim to return to the school’s normal curriculum in all subjects by summer term 2021.
- Plan on the basis of the educational needs of pupils. Curriculum planning should be informed by an assessment of pupils’ starting points and addressing the gaps in their knowledge and skills.
- Develop remote education so that it is integrated into school curriculum planning.
At Crawford, we will recieve £5,040. The strategy document below gives further information on how this will be utilised